Monday, May 21, 2012

Oh Humana....I had such high hopes for you...tisk, tisk.

So, recently I came upon an article in an Orlando business paper announcing that the insurance company Humana was getting ready to offer a dental insurance plan for those who don't have dental insurance, that would "reward its members" for their "loyalty" to the plan. What this means, bottom line, is that they will increase benefit levels in the second and third year of (having) the plan. At first, I thought, hmmm...well that sounds pretty good, especially since there are few, if any, "good" individual dental plans out there. Most cost more then what they provide in limited benefits. In other words, its "slim pickin's" out there for dental insurance if your employer does not provide you with a decent plan. A decent individual plan with little or no co-pays,and increasing coverage after the second and third years? Rewarding my loyalty? Well, alrighty then! Sounds good to me (finally)! I was almost excited! Almost........

Upon further review of this HumanaOne Loyalty Plus Plan, I will let you know what I have found. Before I tell you about their reasonable premiums, let me just say that there is an enrollment fee, and administration fee, and a PBA member monthly association fee ON TOP OF the monthly premium. What is this PBA group that enrollees must subscribe to? Is it something fantastically beneficial to help mankind improve on their dental status? Um. No. It is not. The small writing at the bottom of the page states it is a (and I quote the Humana ad here) "a not-for-profit membership organization that provides health, travel, consumer and business-related discounts to its members". Hmmmm...you mean, I HAVE to join this group to purchase the dental insurance and then I have to PAY money every month to get "travel discounts"? Huh?? Why is this sending off a red flag in my head? Ok, well, as it turns out it is a small fee, which when combined with the other small fees, for other "stuff", you get a monthly premium of $35.74, after an enrollment fee of $35.00. Really. Hmmm...Ok.

Driving on, I realize that they pay 100% for preventive services (exam and healthy mouth cleanings) in all three years, so that's good. That should be a savings right there, no? Oh wait a minute! They don't pay for x-rays at the first appointment or anytime after that until I've met my deductible of $150.00? Holy moly. So, after paying the premiums, and enrollment fees, I have to pay for the x-rays out of pocket, which cost more than $100 for the first visit to a dentist's office. I'm not feeling the "loyalty" being "rewarded here. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, this now will likely become a bigger issue....possibly....

And, here is where we get to the BIG red flag:
Every new patient visit at a dental office requires a full series of xrays to be taken in order for the dentist to view your whole mouth, teeth, roots, bones, etc. Without that full series of xrays, the dentist is not able to see your whole mouth and its total oral health status, nor is he/she able to properly and thoroughly diagnose any conditions that are evident on the xrays, but maybe not by the naked eye's visual exam only. That is a significant issue. But, in all fairness, let's look at this from both sides, shall we?

The Consumer: Having to pay out over $100 for xrays on the first visit, after paying the premiums and other "fees", may seem like a lot. In fact, that consumer may very well say to the dental practice, "Hey, I don't have that kind of money, so can I just get the exam and cleaning at least?" I certainly understand where the consumer is coming from. I really do. I would be annoyed to have to find out that the xrays were subject to a $150 deductible. In most other group dental insurance plans, that is part of the preventive services that are USUALLY covered at 100% by the insurance company. I can see where the consumer might want to just get what is covered. I get it. It feels like the consumer is getting "nickled and dimed to death", as they say, and they will likely be annoyed and request no xrays be taken.

The Dentist: Knowing what their protocols are for a new patient exam, which includes taking a full series of xrays, to "see" everything and assess the true condition of the patient's mouth, this presents a liability issue. The difference between conducting a new patient exam with only the naked eye, and one which includes a full series of xrays, is the difference between looking through a keyhole into a room to see what is in it, and opening the door to get the whole view of what is in that room. They don't compare. It would be a disservice to a patient to not fully view and diagnose the condition of that patient's mouth. In fact, it could very easily lead to a lawsuit if something is "brewing" that was not visible with the naked eye and then did not get addressed. Major Liability Risk: "Danger, Will Robinson, Danger Will Robinson"! Plus, the dentist may very well get cited by the Board of Dentistry for negligence for NOT taking the appropriate and needed/required xrays on a new patient. That dentist's license may now be at risk.

And all because Humana 'rewarded' its enrollees by putting a $150 deductible on xrays.....Oh boy. Hot mess. Not good. Both sides of this equation have merit and can be clearly seen and understood. Both sides have issues that are real and valid. Unfortunately, what I REALLY fear happening here, in this very troubled time, and in this tough economy, is PERHAPS a dentist accepting that patient anyway, because they threatened to see someone else, and waiving the xrays until "next time". Meanwhile, under the gums, 'something wicked this way comes'....like a looming infection, bone loss, resorption, an abscess, a cyst, you name it...I was almost excited about this plan...I really, really was...

But really, Humana, all you have done here, is create a difficult situation for everyone involved; except you. Having a customer pay 3 extra fees plus a premium is enough. It could be overlooked if indeed you rewarded your customers. I see where your benefits for basic and major services increase at year 2 and 3 and I think that's ok; not great, but ok. But do I feel you did the right thing by penalizing both the patient and the dentist by creating the conflict associated with attaching a high deductible to needed/required xrays on the VERY FIRST VISIT??? Nope. I do not. Not only do I NOT think it was the right thing, I fear it will place both parties involved at great risk; both clinically, and ethically/legally.

Sure, there may be many patients who can pay the $70 plus for the enrollment fees and first month's premium, but then another $150 to get an exam, xrays and cleaning after that? Over $200 for the first visit? Unless I'm mistaken, that's pretty comparable to what the patient would have paid without any insurance at all, isn't it? Oh Humana, you were SO CLOSE to being a good policy...SO CLOSE...but not close enough.  Based on all of that (and I couldn't even really get to the rest of the plan "benefits"), I would have to give this policy a big "tisk, tisk"....Buyer beware...and dentists beware too!

That's it for me today. Thanks for stopping by. And, remember, you only have to brush and floss the teeth that you ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY want to keep. That's it. Nothing more.

Dr. Driscoll

5 comments:

  1. A nice summation of the consequenses of the fine print.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *** Prospective Customers Beware!!! They claim insurance will start on the first of the next month if you fill out the application by the 15th. It wont!***

    I have only just begun attempting to use Humana and I am already very frustrated with the company. I filled out an application for my family before the Jan 15 deadline. Paying special attention to be positive everything was filled out fully. We have now received a letter saying our dependent info is missing (it was submitted). We are being told that our coverage will now not begin on Feb. 1st, but March 1st. According to the rep, this is a common error on their end. The error was on Humana's fault, yet they are penalizing my family by a month! Not a way to treat a new customer! I had read mixed reviews before signing up, guess I should have kept looking. Now off to talk to my husband and consider seeking a refund from Humana.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it okay to post part of this on my website basically post a hyperlink to this webpage?
    dental insurance

    ReplyDelete
  4. WynnBET, Las Vegas, NV Jobs - JCM Hub
    WynnBET in Las Vegas, NV. Find your dream 김제 출장샵 job at JCM's Job 전주 출장샵 Search & Apply. View 광주광역 출장마사지 details for 남원 출장안마 openings, 세종특별자치 출장안마 paylines, and more!

    ReplyDelete