Friday, January 13, 2012

"What's so scary about you, Dr. Driscoll? Why this title?"...

~ "Today is the first day of the rest of your (blogging) life" ~

...And so it begins. This blog arose out of sheer necessity. There just isn't a place to discuss some of the scariest topics affecting dentistry and oral health today. There just isn't. And there certainly needs to be, from what I encounter almost daily by talking to clients, patients, dentists, academics, students, practice managers; you name it. So here I am taking the steps that need to be taken to open up dialogue about some scary topics, and share information, disseminate knowledge, inspire passion, generate a call to action, and hopefully, collaborate on solutions. We have a lot of issues in dentistry, but we also have significant issues with oral health in our communities as well. My desire is to bring specific, researched information and apply it to both the dental industry and the community as a whole. Both sides of a situation must be viewed though, to really view it fairly. This is not a rant blog, but a "things that make you go Hmmmmm" blog. I have a passion for finding the latest research, problem, issue, or need and putting it out there where most people, and most dentists, are just not aware of its scope, but cannot ignore it. Warning: the information in these blogs is controversial and thought-provoking. At times, it may be upsetting, and I don't sugarcoat things. I should tell you that right up front. "I call 'em as I see 'em", as they say. But that's ok because becoming aware is a first step to opening up dialogue. And that, my friends and colleagues, is the first step to generating solutions. You don't have to thank me....I'm happy to help.

So, is it that I'm a scary woman or is it that I scare people with my words and research? Hopefully, the second. I decided to be provocative and choose this title for my blog because that's how I was introduced to a group of dentists at an 8 hour lecture I was giving back in 2010 at the University of Florida, College of Dentistry. My 8 hour lecture was on Employment Law and Avoiding Lawsuits and the Assistant Dean, who had heard me speak before, advised the group of dentists that I was the scariest woman in dentistry with what I had to speak to them about. He literally told them that their jaws would drop open, they would get upset, but that ultimately, my lecture and information HAD to be learned by dentists. He also indicated that they would, indeed, thank me at the end of their exhausting, emotionally draining day.

At the time I thought....did you just say that about me because I'm a truly lovely person!?! Honest to God! I smiled politely but thought...well...since they don't know what's about to hit them, I guess the title fits. Anytime we find out new information that could potentially get us in trouble, and we realize we haven't exactly been doing things correctly; its a bit frightening. When you have to sit and listen to me for 8 glorious hours (I know, it's horrendous but oh so good for you-like sitting down to a HUGE bowl of brussel sprouts; you'll be healthier for it when its done, but its miserable while you're going through it) and you realize just how incorrectly you HAVE been doing things, you get a bit nauseous. Luckily, I hand out Tums. Then I move on to my next topic. Then I provide them with solutions and corrective measures to implement into their practices immediately.

After all, and in all fairness, there's virtually no employment law taught to dentists in dental school so it's not that they are purposely doing things incorrectly; they literally don't know what it is they are legally REQUIRED to know, as business owners. It's not their fault; honest to God. They can't be blamed here. It's lacking in most medical fields, to be honest. So, I tell them, and teach them, and then they sigh a huge sigh of relief. They leave my courses inspired and grateful, ready to implement legally compliant change into their practices. THAT'S the rewarding part. FIXING what is broken. PROVIDING sustainable solutions. BUILDING skills and knowledge from lessons learned. It's not enough to discuss wrongs if you don't have the courage to provide the rights.

My work is not about negativity; its about raw knowledge and data and evidence-based solutions. So, here I am. And there is still a TON of work to do to solve our problems with dentistry and oral health. Consider this one of my major contributions to improving my field. I love dentistry; I really do. And I refuse to wait for others to solve our issues. So, I'm a bit fearless and "on the cutting edge", as my Dissertation Chair told me yesterday. Come along for the ride~you'll be better for it; I promise. It might be tough at times and hard to stomach, but I promise this is worth it. I know you can do it, I have faith in you. Just keep an open mind (and a bottle of Tums close by). Words are powerful, knowledge should be shared, and communication should be safe. We can do this.

Thanks for stopping by and remember; you only have to brush and floss the teeth that you ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY want to keep. That's all. Nothing more.
Dr. Driscoll

No comments:

Post a Comment